Show mobile menu
Show search control
Show search control
Search Site

Apply for Housing Benefit

Who can claim, how to claim, and what you'll get.

Who can claim

You can apply for housing benefit if:

  • you rent your home
  • you are a sub-tenant or lodger

You won't be able to make a claim if:

  • you own the property you are claiming for
  • you rent your home from a close relative that lives in the same house
  • you, or your partner, have joint savings of over £16,000 (unless you receive Guarantee Pension Credit)
  • you are receiving Universal Credit

You can also get help with Council Tax if you are liable to pay. You can make a claim for both Housing Benefit and Council Tax Reduction on the same form.

How to claim

To apply for housing benefit you will need to create or log in to a High Peak online account. If you don't have one already, click the button below and register. If you already have an account with us you can also log in here.

Once you're registered

  • go to 'Submit a request' and select the 'Claim Benefit' form
  • it should take between 15 and 20 minutes to complete
  • you will need to have your personal and income details ready
  • you can upload scanned / saved evidence of your address, income and other benefits or do this later

Tracking the progress of your claim

When you have submitted your application through your online account, you will be able to track it from start to finish. We will contact you (usually via email), if we need any further information, and to let you know the progress of your claim. We aim to process new claims within 21 working days.

Providing Evidence

When applying for housing benefit you may need to provide evidence to support the application.

The fastest and most effective way to add evidence to your claim is to upload it to the form. You can add it at the time of completing the form OR save the form and return to it to add the evidence needed before submitting. If you save the form make sure you take note of your reference number so you can return to the saved version.

View our guide to getting and adding evidence to support your application. [2MB]

Need help?

If you need help completing the claim form, and would like someone to go through this with you, contact High Peak Citizens Advice. They will be able to offer you an appointment at one of their offices in Buxton, Glossop or New Mills.

What you'll get

You can find out how much you might get by using our benefits calculator.

Read more about how we pay benefit