Show mobile menu
Show search control
Show search control
Search Site

How to claim

How to claim

Claims for Universal Credit should be made online at
If you haven't got your own pc, then try to use a computer belonging to a friend or member of your family. If this isn't possible, you can use a computer free of charge at one of our offices. 

Before making a claim, you need to gather the following information and have it ready:

  • your postcode
  • ​your National Insurance number
  • details of the bank, building society or Post Office account you want Universal Credit paid into
  • your rent agreement (if you have one)
  • details of your savings or other capital
  • details of any income that's not from work (e.g. from an insurance plan)
  • details of any other benefits you're getting

​You might also need these details for people who live in your home, e.g. your partner.

If you're already getting housing benefit

You don't need to do anything. You'll be told when Universal Credit will affect you.

Council Tax Reduction

Help with Council Tax is not included in your Universal Credit payment. The DWP will not accept a claim for council tax reduction at the same time as you claim Universal Credit.

You must apply for Council Tax Reduction directly through our benefits service once you have applied for Universal Credit. If you don't apply for your council tax support at this time, you may not receive your maximum entitlement.