Show mobile menu
Show search control
Show search control
Search Site

Does it affect me?

Universal Credit is a new benefit for people of working age on a low income and is administered by the Department for Work and Pensions. It is a single monthly payment which will eventually replace:

  • Income Support
  • Income Related Job Seeker's Allowance
  • Income Related Employment Support Allowance
  • Housing Benefit
  • ​Working Tax Credit/Child Tax Credit

This means we won't be able to accept new claims for Housing Benefit if you are of working age* - you will have to claim Universal Credit instead.

Please note - Residents in the Hope Valley area or anyone with a Sheffield postcode will not need to apply for Universal Credit from the Department for Work and Pensions until November 2018.

(*There are a few exceptions for example if you live in supported accommodation or you have been told you cannot claim Universal Credit because you have three or more children.)

If you received Housing Benefit on 12th September 2018, we will continue to pay your Housing Benefit until your circumstances mean you are no longer entitled to Housing Benefit, or until we are asked to end your Housing Benefit claim because you have claimed, or need to claim, Universal Credit.

You must still make your claim for Council Tax Reduction to us because this is not included in Universal Credit.

We may be able to award Discretionary Housing Payments (DHP) if you need extra help with your housing costs.