Toggle Mobile Menu Visibility
Toggle Search Controls Visibility


We grit our own car parks but Derbyshire County Council is responsible for the gritting of public roads and pavements.

Gritting of roads

Priority is given to main A-roads, most B-roads, bus routes and some other difficult roads. Roads will be treated whenever the temperature is due to drop below freezing. 

In particularly bad weather conditions gritting teams will try to treat as many minor roads as possible after the main routes have been done.

You can see the roads covered by looking at the  gritting route map.

Our street cleaning team sometimes help Derbyshire County Council by gritting priority footpaths in our main towns.  

Grit bins

There are "self help" grit bins, or salt heaps, at various points around the area. These are for communal use in clearing roads and pavements not for use on your driveway.
You should buy your own supply of grit [757KB]  to treat your property.  

Derbyshire County Council have a useful online map to find a grit bin which will show you who is responsible for grit bins near you.

Our housing maintenance team provide and look after the grit bins at council housing locations. You should contact us to report problems with grit bins belonging to High Peak Housing but  contact Derbyshire County Council to request a refill or report problems with all other grit bins.

Derbyshire County Council also provides  useful winter travel advice.