Who can claim, how to claim, and what you'll get.
Who can claim
You can apply for housing benefit if:
- you rent your home
- you are a sub-tenant or lodger
You won't be able to make a claim if:
- you own the property you are claiming for
- you rent your home from a close relative that lives in the same house
- you, or your partner, have joint savings of over £16,000 (unless you receive Guarantee Pension Credit)
- you are receiving Universal Credit
You can also get help with Council Tax if you are liable to pay. You can make a claim for both Housing Benefit and Council Tax Reduction on the same form.
How to claim
You can make a claim online.
The claim form will tell you exactly what you need to provide, and we'll contact you if we need any further information.
We'll tell you our decision within 14 working days of receiving the claim.
If you need help completing the claim form, and would like someone to go through this with you, contact High Peak Citizens Advice. They will be able to offer you an appointment at one of their offices in Buxton, Glossop or New Mills.
What you'll get
You can find out how much you might get by using our benefits calculator.